SEARCH

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sausage & Veggie Breakfast Burritos



I didn’t post my weekly menu this week but for good reason; I was just too freakin' busy this week!  We went to Visalia over Labor Day to visit my family for our birthdays.  My brother threw us a big birthday BBQ with grilled steaks and all the fixings including chocolate cake.  He stole Xavier for the afternoon and they baked our cake together—so cool! When we returned home, my in-laws were here to greet us.  It was nice visiting with them and X loved having breakfast with grandpa before school.  From there it’s been room parent & PTA meetings, soccer team mom obligations, cooking for the PC menu, and so on and so forth.  

With our hectic schedule I’ve been trying to think of ways to simplify our lives, and these breakfast burritos are one of my steps in that direction.    I made a big batch of eggs with whatever I could find in the fridge, wrapped them in whole-wheat tortillas, and froze.  Just like that we have a healthy and tasty breakfast to go!  I also started making big smoothie batches and freezing them in ice cube trays.  I just throw a couple smoothie cubes in a cup to thaw a bit while I’m getting ready in the morning.  I nuke a burrito, grab my smoothie, and I'm out the door!  :-)

Sausage & Veggie Breakfast Burrito


1 T grape seed oil
12-oz package breakfast sausage, chopped into bite-size bits
4 oz mushrooms, chopped
6 mini sweet bell peppers, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
12 eggs, whisked
Hot sauce, to taste
S&P, to taste
1 C Colby jack cheese, shredded
6 whole-wheat tortillas
Salsa to serve alongside

*Sub whatever meat, vegs, or cheese you have; this is just what I had left in my fridge when I returned from our trip to Visalia.


Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add sausage to cook for about 5 minutes.  Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes.  Add bell peppers and green onions and cook another 5 minutes.  


Turn down to medium-low, add the eggs, and season with hot sauce and S&P.  Allow to cook for a couple minutes, add cheese and fold in.  

When eggs are cooked to your liking, heat up your tortillas and wrap them into burritos.  Serve with salsa.  


 **If you’re going to freeze them, allow the eggs to cool before wrapping into burritos.  I don’t add salsa to the burritos because it makes them a bit too wet to freeze, which is why I serve the salsa alongside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment