SEARCH

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Calabacitas (Mexican-Style Squash)


I make this side dish quite often with Mexican food.  I use whatever kind of onion, pepper, or cheese I have in the fridge.  This particular time I had a red onion, jalapeno, and Monterey Jack.  I also don't usually use as much cheese as I did last night, but Xavier thought he'd help out with dinner and added the cheese for me.  He was obviously a bit heavy handed with it. . .he doesn't even like melted cheese either!

Calabacitas 



2 T Canola oil
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 jalapeno, sliced
1 zucchini, cut into bite-size chunks
1 yellow squash, cut into bite-size chunks
S&P, to taste
1 garlic clove, sliced
1/2 C frozen corn
2 T cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 C Monterey Jack cheese, shredded


Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.  Add onion & pepper and cook until translucent.  Add zucchini & yellow squash season with s&p to taste, and cook about 5 min.  Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes more.  


Turn off the heat and add corn and cilantro and mix well.  


Taste for seasonings.  Add cheese and cover to allow to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment