SEARCH

Friday, March 15, 2013

Chicken Chili



The day before I go grocery shopping, I do a quick inventory of everything I’ve got in the fridge and pantry for meal ideas.  A couple weeks ago I had some peppers and a beautiful tomato that needed to be used up and I had chicken in the freezer, so immediately I thought chicken chili!  Here’s my recipe. . .



Chicken Chili


2 T canola oil
3 baby red peppers (or 1 large), chopped
4 baby yellow peppers (or 2 medium), chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-size pieces
2 T chili powder
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t cumin
S&P
1 large tomato, diced
3 C low-sodium chicken broth
1 29-oz can pinto beans, drained & rinsed



Mix together all the seasonings and set aside...this is your homemade chili mix.



Heat oil in large pot/skillet over med-high heat.  Cook the peppers, onions, & jalapeno until starting to caramelize.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  


Add chicken & homemade chili powder mix, and cook about 5 minutes.  Add diced tomato and cook another minute.  Add the broth, bring up to a boil and lower to a simmer.  Add the beans and allow to cook together for at least 20 minutes.


Garnish w/ sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, scallions, cilantro and/or cheddar cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment