SEARCH

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Split Pea Soup


This is a very hearty, thick soup that is great for chilly nights.  I love soup season, and I love that my 4-year-old loves soup even more!  I can put anything in a soup and he will gobble it down.  Last night we had butternut squash soup (to be posted later) and there were bits of thyme floating in it.  Xavier asked me what they were and I told him it was thyme, which was a fighter against bad germs in his body, because it is a great source of antioxidants.  So this morning he asked if I could please put thyme in his pancakes because he wanted some extra fighting power. . .I think all he heard me say the night before was “fighters.”  J 

Split Pea Soup



2 T canola oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 bunch thyme
4 C chicken stock (you can use water if you don’t have stock)
1 red potato, chopped
1 C green split peas
S&P, to taste
1/2 C frozen cubed carrots, thawed (optional)
Sliced green onions for garnish


Heat oil in a large soup pot and cook carrots, celery, and onion until starting to caramelize, about 10 min.  Add garlic, bay leaf, and thyme and cook another 1-2 minutes.  


Add chicken stock or water, potato, and split peas and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat to low, cover partially, and cook stirring occasionally for about 45 min to 1 hr, until peas are very soft.  


Remove from the heat and remove thyme stems & bay leaf.  Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or you can just mash it with a potato masher).  Add S&P and add cubed carrots (this is mostly for texture. . .if you just want a creamy soup don’t add these carrots).  Garnish with green onions & enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment