SEARCH

Monday, February 25, 2013

Hollandaise Sauce in a Blender!




I love Hollandaise sauce!  I’ve made it a million times in restaurants, but I rarely make it at home.  It’s a fussy sauce that is kind of labor intensive; and if not done just right, it will break and you must start all over.  When I came across Ina Garten’s blender Hollandaise, I couldn’t wait to try it.  It really works!  It’s simple and will hold up to 1 hour also!  There were only a few adjustments I made, which were clarifying the butter and cutting way back on the salt. 

Blender Hollandaise Sauce


Yield:  8 servings

12 T unsalted butter, clarified
4 large egg yolks, room temp
3 T lemon juice
1/2 t salt
Black pepper, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste



In Ina’s recipe, she just uses melted butter, but I chose to clarify just because that’s the way I was taught and I’ve always used clarified butter in restaurant cooking.  Clarified butter is simply pure butterfat once the milk solids have been removed.  You just put the butter in a pot and set on low until the milk solids come to the top.  Skim off the solids and voila you have clarified butter!


In the blender, add the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, pepper, & cayenne (I did a couple pinches but season to your liking) and blend for about 15 seconds.  With the blender on lowest setting, remove the top covering & very slowly drizzle in the hot clarified butter and blend for about another 30 seconds, until it’s thickened.  At this point, you can leave it in the blender for up to 1 hr.  If it is made ahead of time, then blend right before serving with about 1 T of hot water to loosen up again.  


1 comment:

  1. This recipe has been linked to http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com/melt-in-your-mouth-monday-recipe-blog-hop-105/#comment-61457

    ReplyDelete